We stopped at Fatty’s Burgers on East Commerce on a sunny Saturday afternoon due to the excellent reviews the restaurant received on the San Antonio Burger Blog. The restaurant was easy to find near the Commerce Street exit off Hwy 281. The restaurant staff were very friendly. The burgers tasted good and were reasonably priced. Football was playing on several TVs and the large dining room seemed conducive to watching sports and relaxing with friends.
Directly across the street from Fatty’s is the two-block complex that formerly housed the Friedrich Refrigeration Company. The complex consists of multiple buildings built between 1923 and 1955. The development was recently mentioned in a Cary Clack column as a possible new headquarters for the San Antonio Independent School District.
Edward Friedrich, founder of the refrigeration company, constructed a large Queen Anne style house less than a mile from the factory overlooking Dignowity Park. The house has been restored and is currently for sale.
Another distinctive house in the Dignowity Hill area is the Emil Elmendorf house at 509 Burleson. The 1884 raised-cottage house has elements of Victorian and Greek Revival style. The house was designed by prominent architect Alfred Giles. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Dignowity Park was the focus of a volunteer beautification effort in September when Texas Public Radio (TPR) commemorated National Public Lands Day by planting drought-resistant vegetation in the park. TPR partnered with San Antonio Credit Union, San Antonio Water System, and San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department.
The Cemetary District is another interesting part of the historic Eastside area. Between 1853 and 1904 a total of 31 cemetaries on 103 acres were developed. Familiar-sounding surnames of people buried here include Guenther, Steves, Menger, Gunter, Witte, Driscoll and Maverick.